Packing A Hospital Bag


Been There Done That 

Hospital Bag packing! I'm only 34 weeks but my nesting/baby preparation instincts have gone into overdrive recently. I have so many ideas and to do lists in my head that need to get organized. I splurged and bought an Erin Condren Life Planner last week and I can't wait for it to come and turn the chaos in my mind to something legible on beautifully printed paper with lots of washi tape and post its! Have I mentioned that I am obsessed with office supplies? I've organized the boys' room and find myself not being able to sit still since then because there are things I think I just need to do and organize. Yesterday I worked in the craft room (which is a huge mess) and then got distracted re-organizing the broom closet. Then I saw that the nails/screws/tools we have in another closet were a big mess and that needed some work too....like I said, the list goes on. I need to write this down! But my current obsession is getting my hospital bag packed and ready to go. I know it's still early but I had JB pretty early and last Friday I had a spell with dehydration/exhaustion (probably from this current nesting obsession of mine and working full time and chasing a toddler and Matt always being gone) and the Braxton Hicks was in full force! Just another reason to have everything ready early vs. late. 

So now that I'm all experienced, I know what to bring, what's really a waste of effort, and things I wish I had but didn't. I also talked to the hospital to find out what they would be providing so I don't double up on anything. Less is more in this case! 

FOR MOM
**Toiletries bag: deodorant, razor, soap, shampoo, conditioner, face wash, brush, hair ties, chap stick, face wipes 
I'm going to be kind of gross here. I spent 72 hours in the hospital with JB and I showered ONCE. I was terrified of showering because the post pregnancy pain was horrific. It was worse than labor! Ok, that's an exaggeration but using the bathroom was scary enough, I dreaded taking a shower. I know some moms want nothing more than to take a shower after and for me, it was the last thing I wanted. Then again, I only pushed for 8 minutes and didn't get all hot and sweaty...... 
**Magazine(s): I brought a book last time and it required using more brain cells than I had working at the time. Give me a good gossip magazine and a fitness magazine this time around. 
**Flip Flops: CHEAP ONES! I brought my Rainbows when I had JB and I have no idea where they went. Do you know how long it takes to break in Rainbows?! 
** Mints/Gum
**Snacks: I was starving after I had JB and the time in between meals from the hospital
** Extension Cord: Heaven forbid I lose my phone access while I'm at the hospital 
**Empty Folder: For organizing all those papers they're going to give you 
**Cheap Undies: There's a reason I was terrified to shower or use the bathroom that first week after having a baby. Have cheap undies that you can throw away! 
**Heavy Flow Maxi Pads: See above 
**Makeup: This isn't necessary for everyone but it is for me
**Nursing Bra/Bra Pads : You probably won't wear it while at the hospital but you don't want those things flapping around when you're getting ready to go home 
**Digital Camera: You can tell I like to take pictures. Usually my phone will do, but having a Nikon handy is always a plus! Especially for these pics that I'm sure I'll want to print and frame
**Going home clothes: Loose, breathable, and make sure the bottoms are dark. Just in case those cheap panties and extra large maxi pads don't do their job.

Things I'm NOT packing 
**Birth Plan: I'm not that anal. Give me the pain meds and I'm going to trust that the docs know what they're doing. 
** Robe: I like my robes too much, I'm happy ruining the ugly hospital gowns 
** Socks: It's August and I'm happier in flip flops 
** Pillow: I'm not that picky and that's just more stuff to carry there and back 
** Laptop: Phone is good enough! Who has time to open up a laptop when nurses and a baby need you round the clock 

FOR TATER TOT
** Going home outfit 
** Diaper Bag (see below)  
** Nursing Pillow 
** Car Seat 

DIAPER BAG 
I need to get my diaper bag ready for TWO boys of different ages. That means size 1 and size 4 diapers, throw some bibs and a swaddle blanket back in there, and snacks and toys for JB. 

Matt will most likely not spend the evenings with me so he doesn't really need a "hospital" bag of his own. We still have a toddler to take care of here! And while we'll leave him with a friend during my labor, the plan is to just use daycare, bring JB to the hospital, or have Matt take care of him at home once Tater Tot comes. Am I getting a little anxiety about having TWO kids to look after? Especially two that require so much work still? YES OF COURSE! Our front door is only accessible after going up a pretty decent flight of stairs. How in the world am I supposed to do that with a toddler and a newborn? But I trust that I'll figure it out, because that's just what moms do. 




My hospital bag is ready to go. Next to it, the the ACU pattern bag is JB's overnight bag. If I have Tater Tot sometime in the middle of the night, we'll be leaving JB with friends. In there I have extra clothes, diapers, wipes, a blanket, a familiar toy, and a sip cup. He eats everything so I wasn't worried about packing him any specific snacks or meals. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Sick Holiday

Losing the baby weight

The Same Ole Problem