Family Hiking Time

Matt's unit met up at a park with a trail running course one morning and he invited me to come along. Of course I'm in no shape to run right now and even walking long distances results in some not so fun pelvic pain, but I wanted to go knowing full well I wouldn't complete that 5 mile loop....yet! Despite our awesome jogging stroller, it wasn't made for a trail so we grabbed the Kelty backpack instead, which of course, Matt wore. This trail is, like I already said, 5 miles long, and circles a lake. Plenty of elevation changes and absolutely gorgeous! I hope to come back and attempt to run that thing (and finish it) once I'm in running shape again. 

Jellybean loves being in the backpack. And he loves being outside. He had such a great time oooo-ing and awwww-ing over everything. He was fascinated! It must have worn him out because that kid knocked out in the backpack. He kept flopping around but it didn't wake him up! 

Anyway, I had to go back to work that day while Matt and his office went to play on a ropes course. Sometimes, I really wish I wasn't in an operational job and doing the staff job thing like Matt! That's one of the things I love about the Air Force though. There is so much emphasis on family time. Sure there are lots of times when we are getting pulled away from our families, sometimes for extended periods. Matt is gone all the time on inspections and it's hard having to take care of the house when I'm this pregnant. But on the other side of that, I spent the morning hiking around a trail with my boys and a different unit and didn't have to worry about getting in trouble. If I get a call from the daycare to pick up my boy, I can just pick up and leave, take him to work, or go home with him and give him what he needs. There's so much freedom to place family first when the mission isn't banging on our door. We are definitely one proud military family! 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Sick Holiday

Losing the baby weight

The Same Ole Problem