Maternity Photos

I'm trying to do many of the same things with Tater Tot as I did with Jellybean and that includes maternity pics. I was sooooooo extremely fortunate with Jellybean because my good friend Brittany lived right down the street and just so happened to be a professional photographer. Her talents are still unmatched, but unfortunately, she lived so far away this time around, I had to pursue local options.

I went to Google to find a Virginia Beach photographer. When I e-mailed these photographers, I was appalled at how much their sessions cost! Really? You're going to charge me as much for a maternity session as I paid for my wedding pictures? Kind of absurd. One of the photographers reached out to me with a special he was running because someone cancelled theirs so I took it since it was significantly cheaper than what I was finding. 

All my photo sessions have been outdoors in natural light. This particular session was in the photographer's home studio (yes I made sure to look up reviews and research this guy before agreeing to go to his home studio!) While I'm grateful I was able to get maternity pictures, I am totally regretting the avenue I used to get them. I was so used to having a connection with my photographer and that makes such a big difference in the type of pictures you end up with! This guy didn't really take the time to get to know my family, he was all business, and didn't even walk us to the door when we were done. He charges $75 PER DIGITAL IMAGE (not what I paid, I would NEVER agree to that). It was definitely a lesson learned for me. Don't rush finding a photographer and don't do studio sessions because that's just not my thing. 

A few days after our maternity session, I just so happened to stumble upon #virginiabeachphotographer on Instagram. WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS BEFORE??? In addition to using Google, I should have leveraged social media!!!! I found the perfect photographers as a result and I wish so badly that they could have done my maternity session. :( One girl in particular reminds me so much of Brittany. I've already booked her for a family photo shoot in November and we stay in touch with e-mail and Instagram. She's already getting to know my family. She doesn't do newborn pictures (another thing I did with JB so I must do it with Tater Tot) so she recommended me to a friend of hers that does them. I've booked that too and she's already establishing a relationship with me to get to know my family. These are the kinds of photographers I'm looking for! And they aren't charging an obscene amount of money for a photo session (seriously, who pays for those +$1000 sessions when there are these ladies around??). Anyway, I learned my lesson with the maternity photos and while I don't LOVE the pictures, I'm grateful I have something to capture my pregnancy and growing family. I am beyond excited for newborn photos and fall family pictures so it gives me a little ease knowing that those are just around the corner and I'll be much happier with the way that turns out. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Sick Holiday

Losing the baby weight

The Same Ole Problem