Oatmeal For Babies


Instant? Old Fashioned? Steel Cut? 


Until just a few years ago, I HATED oatmeal. With a passion. That mush was so disgusting to me, but then miraculously, one day I started loving the stuff. The same goes for sushi (gasp! I didn't like sushi until I was 25) and seafood (I know...I grew up in the Pacific Northwest but hated anything but shrimp, crab, and salmon). Oatmeal is loaded with nutritional value and I love that it mixes so well with different flavors. Every bowl can be unique. Fruity, sweet, cinnamon-y, the list goes on. For me? I load my oatmeal up with brown sugar, maple syrup, and a crap ton of mixed nuts. Matt prefers just good ole brown sugar and maple syrup. 

For Jellybean...well oatmeal seems to be a common first food for a baby. But since I'm skipping the whole common first food rice cereal and baby oatmeal thing, I decided to do some research on what type of oatmeal is good for my now 8 month old. I wanted something that wasn't processed- isn't that part of the point of baby led weaning? Aside from the kiddo enjoying what I eat every day, they stay away from the processed gunk. That left only one option-steel cut oats. I've actually never seen this type of oatmeal up close and personal before. In our house we opt for the instant variety. At first, I thought I was looking at a bowl of rabbit food....but I guess that's what happens when you're so used to overly processed food. Rabbits on the other hand- they got it down. They eat the real stuff where the vitamins haven't been completely removed from the grain! And apparently, so will my Jellybean. Steel cut oats don't take just a few minutes to make but the added time is definitely worth the additional nutritional value for my little man. 

Additions


Since my kiddo's palette is still developing, I've been going all out with introducing him to different flavor combinations. Will this really help him not be a picky eater when he grows up? I have no idea. But I'm having fun in the mean time! Here are some of the combinations we've tried so far. 

Oats + Banana
Oats + Blueberry 
Oats + baked apples sprinkled with cinnamon (I don't add too much cinnamon because the spice irritates his skin) 

I'm sure there are a bunch of other combinations out there. We're definitely willing to try them all! 



Instant or Steel Cut….I didn't have old fashioned laying around (I used them to make oatmeal raisin cookies!) 

And we have a winner! 



I think he likes it! 

Oatmeal and Banana

Don't let that face fool you….he loves oatmeal mixed with fruit. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Sick Holiday

Losing the baby weight

The Same Ole Problem