Breast is Best


Piece of Cake 


During my pregnancy, I read everything in sight, from baby blogs to the infamous What to Expect books, I gobbled it all up. However, when it came to the breastfeeding sections, I often skimmed through the horror stories of cracked bleeding nipples and reflections on horrible pain. I knew Jellybean would be breastfed, I wasn't going to waver on that decision. So I ignored the warnings and figured I had it down. We'd breastfeed for at least six months, it would hurt at first, we might have latch issues, but we'd get it down no problem because I'm determined (and very stubborn). 


Preparing myself...but skipping the breastfeeding advice. FAIL. 

Just Kidding....



The first day we attempted to latch, I recalled what to look for. The rooting reflex, open mouth yawn, guide his head, tickle his nose, everything I saw in the videos and blogs came rushing back and I attempted to mimic what I saw. ATTEMPTED. Boy did they make it look easy. After two days I was RAW. I had no idea if Jellybean was getting the colostrum he needed but following textbook guidance, I fed him every 2 hours for about 30-45 minutes. After about 10 days, I was DONE. I would wince in excruciating pain every time Jellybean latched, which often took 3 or 5 times of trying/unlatching/trying again to make sure it was right. When my milk came, I had tennis ball sized masses under my arms. My milk came in so fast and with such fury that it backed me up all the way to my underarms ( I certainly didn't read about that in any of my books/blogs!). Frantically, I scheduled an appointment with my midwife thinking I had developed some unforeseen medical condition. To my dismay, she advised me that the best way to relieve the tennis balls and the pain in my underarms (I literally could not let my arms hang at my sides because of the pain) was to continue breastfeeding until my body and my baby figured out the right milk ratio. 

Matt was encouraging. Before two weeks of my attempts to breastfeed was over, I wanted to give up. I remember angrily texting one of my good guy friends about the horrors of breastfeeding. When he responded with "how hard is it, don't you just sit there?" I was beyond livid! Matt suggested that I at least try to breastfeed during my six weeks of maternity leave and then see where I stood from there. That seemed to be a more attainable goal than my six month one, and I longed for the six week milestone. 


One of the nurses helping us with our very first latch! 
My motivation to keep on fighting through the pain. 


Piece of Cake.....Again 

As the days passed, Jelly bean and I were finally able to get in sync. We had one hiccup with mastitis (an ordeal I *never* want to go through again!), but now we're going on almost six months of exclusively breastfeeding, and I'm already dreading the day my little man will be completely weaned. As of now, my goal is to breastfeed for an entire year, although I wouldn't put it past me to try to go longer. I'm truly amazed at how quickly Jellybean has grown just from my milk alone and am so grateful my body can successfully produce the nourishment he needs. 

I recognize that some mothers aren't as blessed as I am and have supply trouble. I'm teetering on that wall now as my little man continues to require more milk, and I struggle to keep up with his hearty appetite. But the bright side is we will start solids to supplement soon, and I have a good reserve supply stashed in the freezer. I would have hated having to supplement with formula knowing full well that the nutrients don't even come close to what my body naturally creates. I will admit that I am quick to judge moms that willingly choose to give formula without even trying breast milk at first. Some have their reasons; work, low supply, etc. It would break my heart if I had to stop before Jellybean was ready.


Keep on Keepin' on


As for me, I'm going to do whatever it takes to keep my supply up and continue to provide Jellybean my milk vs. something that's produced in a laboratory. I pump at work, I take fenugreek, load up on oatmeal, hydrate with water, and even scale back the workouts when I think it affects my supply. Our breastfeeding adventure was tough at first, but now, I absolutely adore the bond that we have because of it. Whenever Matt feeds Jellybean with a bottle and they lock eyes, he gets a glimpse of the bond a mother and her child share, and he recognizes just how special it is. I'm grateful he encouraged me to keep on going. It's such a rewarding experience. 
A slave to the pump! Making time to pump at work isn't always the easiest, but I'm grateful I have a job that allows me to do it. 
Almost six months old and exclusively breastfed. Look at those cheeks!  He was in the 92nd percentile for weight and height at his 4 month appointment and is still growing strong. It's amazing what women's bodies were made to do.                                                                               


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Sick Holiday

Losing the baby weight

The Same Ole Problem