A Vintage Airplane Nursery

Why Airplanes? 


I can't quite pinpoint why I developed an obsession with airplanes at such a young age. Airplanes and NASA, those were my two obsessions growing up. Believe it or not, fashion, makeup, and all things girly that most people now associate me with, didn't come into my life until my last few years of high school. Growing up, I collected and made WWII bomber models. I snagged up every book I could from the Barnes and Noble clearance rack if it had anything to do with WWII aircraft. Although Matt is more partial to WWII sea vessels, he can just look at an old war plane and identify it within seconds. Therefore, it seemed fitting that Jellybean's nursery would be vintage airplane themed. It seemed classy and something that a little boy could grow into.

Decorating 


As soon I decided on my theme, it was time to hit Pinterest for inspiration! I fell in love the idea of placing a huge propeller on the wall, the colors blue and brown, and dark wood furniture. My excitement grew exponentially as one pin after another inspired me. At this point, I had NOTHING for the nursery so I was starting from scratch. The options were endless!

At first, I didn't even want to put the nursery together since I would be moving so shortly after Jellybean was born. But I saw so many good ideas on Pinterest, I just didn't want to wait. I couldn't wait! Besides, that nesting instinct wasn't going to let me brush it under the rug.


Putting it Together 

Matt wouldn't let me put any of the furniture together. He's seen me attempt to do it in the past and there was no way his son was going to be resting his head on anything mom put together! But before any furniture would even go into the room, I had to clear out ALL my craft materials and put it in the guest bedroom closet. After that task was complete, I put Matt to work on the baby furniture. We made everything in the loft because there was more room and planned on moving the furniture into the nursery all put together. Well.....we didn't think that through very well because our beautiful crib wouldn't fit through the door into the nursery! FAIL. So, I set everything else up and we left the crib in the loft. Jellybean wasn't really going to use the nursery those first few months anyway. 


I fit an entire craft room of STUFF in a closet. Thank you Pinterest for the organizing ideas. 

Jellybean's growing collection of clothes! Mostly from BabyGap.

The changing table with metal airplanes from my friend Ingrid. 

That propeller was *essential* and I looked all over Amazon for the perfect one.
Those vintage canvases were found by my friend Britt for super cheap at Hobby Lobby! 

I absolutely love this wool rug. Apparently, Abby loves it too. 

Jellybean's teddy bear complete with an aviator hat courtesy of Britt.
The glider was a baby gift from my awesome friends Danele and Nicolle (Sis and Mom).
The theme here is.......I have great friends that spoil my son.  

One of the retired guys I worked with in Texas handmade this airplane for Jellybean!
 It can even support Matt's weight. Can't wait til my little man is scooting around in this thing. 

Six Months Later 

Six months later, a new state, a new house.....and I'm still not using that beautiful nursery I worked to hard to decorate! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Sick Holiday

Losing the baby weight

The Same Ole Problem