One, Two, TEETH!


Adventures in Teething


I miss that gummy grin sometimes. It seemed like before I knew it, those two bottom teeth had shown up and I didn't get to say goodbye to that gummy grin. I'll never see it ever again! Luckily, I have about a billion pictures to remember it by. It only lasted about a second, kind of like how his time as a baby really only lasts about a second and off into toddlerhood, childhood, teenage shenanigans and so on they go. As I look at my son and he LOOKS like a toddler now, no longer my little baby, I'm quickly realizing that his time with a baby is extremely brief and it will go by faster than any mom is going to be ready for. And it all started with the teeth and the disappearance of that gummy grin. 

Of course I was super excited at the idea of those two little bottom teeth poking through and the cute smiles it would result in. But I didn't realize I'd miss the way his smiles used to look, nor did I realize til it was gone that I'd never see it again! Now that he has 5 on top and still two on the bottom....yeah they're kind of coming in at a different rate than the "teething charts" say they're supposed to....the smiles get cuter and cuter and the adventures in what can I bite and what can't I bite continue. SOMETIMES he gets courageous and bites when he's nursing. He used to try it more often than he does now. I say owwwwww really loud and he seems to realize that he did something bad to mommy and gives me the MOST PATHETIC I'm sorry face and starts crying/burying his face into my chest. It's really quite adorable and I have to fight the urge to coddle him and let him cry for a while to "think about what he did." He doesn't do it as often anymore, he'll go weeks between bouts of courageous attempts to nip at mom during nursing sessions. 

So how did our adventures in teething go and continue to go? I still haven't quite figured out when he's crying because he's teething or if it's because of something else. Sometimes he'll run warm and I assume it's a mild fever from those poor suffering gums. Sometimes he pulls at his ears and I assume those gums area gain bugging him. One time I took him to the doctor for dry skin and turned out he had an ear infection! How am I supposed to tell the difference between pulling ears because of gums and pulling ears because of an infection? Oh I can't? Awesome. The biggest giveaway? DROOL SOAKED ONESIES! Omg this boy can DROOL. He'll go through I don't even know how many onesies or just walk around with a bib on because of the amount of liquid that comes out of that tiny little mouth. I tried the frozen fruit in mesh pacifier looking things, I tried the frozen teethers, and I have that infamous toothbrush banana. I don't really know if they're working their wonders on alleviating his teeth though. A few things I won't do.... gel treatments on the gums. I'm going to avoid medicating my son if I can help it. He'll just deal anyway, it'll make him tough! And the Amber necklaces...yeah, I get it. They're all the rage right now but I'm just not comfortable with some rock putting it's special kind of healing power through my kid's skin into his bloodstream to relieve his pain. I'm sorry hippies, but I'm not buying it. I'm a breastfeed only, baby-led weaning, no formula or mushed up baby food/rice cereal kind of mom, but I can't get into that voodoo amber necklace hoopla. If you're into it? Then good for you! I just can't....and I think it looks ridiculous. I do have a rubber beaded necklace teether that I bought from Nordstrom that I wear and he can chew on while I'm carrying him. That's as close to necklace themed teething relief as I'm going to get though. ;) 













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Sick Holiday

Losing the baby weight

The Same Ole Problem