Travel Series: Trier

Our first week in Germany was spent adjusting to the time difference. That was rough on the kids; therefore, was rough on me. Six hour time differences and toddlers don't mix well. That Friday, we decided to run over to Trier to explore since Matt got the day off because the Army beat the Navy in football. You know, typical day off reasons. Trier was about 45 minutes away from Baumholder so it was an easy getaway and first attempt to get out and explore in Europe with the entire family. I quickly learned that driving in Germany terrifies me. No thanks, I didn't want to do it. The lanes are ridiculously narrow and everyone goes insanely fast. The parking spots feel like they're half the size as the ones in the states and I can't park in those to begin with. So, let's just say that we learned quick Matt would do all the driving and all the parking.

At Trier we explored some Roman ruins, enjoyed pastries and coffee, played at a park, marveled at some architecture, and explored our first Christmas Market. Oh my I could spend way too much time at a Christmas market and BUY EVERYTHING, but I decided to just limit myself to magnets and Christmas tree ornaments. I also discovered that my fave pens Stabilos and Staedlers run rampant in Germany.  The planner girl and pen addict in me was going crazy! It was cold but not too much colder than Virginia and there still wasn't any snow on the ground. We knew it would continue to get colder though and we found that most people pushing strollers had their kids in what looked like sleeping bags. We made a note to get those ASAP. I got to explore my first European church and it held up to my expectations. The amount of detail that's put into every corner on their buildings was truly impressive. I found myself drawn to the different doorways in Trier and that became something I took pictures of in every city we went to. No two doorways looked the same, shape, detail, color, etc. In the Christmas market area the boys found plenty to keep them occupied, to include an adorable carousel. 

After Trier we went hunting for those stroller sleeping bags because we quickly learned that our boys would not be warm enough with just jeans and jackets. And we planned on doing quite a bit of exploring over the next several weeks, but keeping the munchkins comfortable needed to be a priority. Fortunately, Toys R Us isn't limited to just the states and we found those coveted sleeping bags super easy! 























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Sick Holiday

Losing the baby weight

The Same Ole Problem