Lifestyle Post: Skincare at 30


My 30 Year Old Skin




I've always been extremely lucky with my skin. Aside from the chicken pox scars of course, why didn't I listen when they said don't scratch?? Shaking my head. Acne hasn’t ever been a problem, dark circles under my eyes? What are those? Honestly, even NOT taking my makeup off at night doesn't result in some horrible skin condition the next morning. Which led me to the horrible habit of sleeping with my makeup. Other skin care blunders? I tanned....a lot. I went through a short spurt in my mid 20s when I used a tanning bed. Not every day, or even every week, but before a vacation or in the dead of winter, I'd try to bronze up my skin on occasion. And when I went out in the sun, I didn't care too much about making sure my skin was protected with some sort of SPF. In my mind, I'm Filipino, I'm meant to be in the sun! I'd burn for a second and then get the most wonderful skin tone, I didn't want SPF to prevent that. Oh if I could go back and talk to my 20 something self, I'd go ahead and slap some sense into her. That girl that had the luminous skin and didn't care about the decades to come....


Now that I'm wiser (not really) but at least more conscious how important it is to take care of my skin, I've been doing my research. I look OLDER in my pictures now, my skin isn't as vibrant as before. Sure I have tired eyes but hey, I'm 9 months pregnant with a 16 month old toddler. Ok, the sparkle may be dulled for a few years yet. But that doesn't mean I should be neglecting my skin care because let's face it, I want to be one good lookin' mom. Not necessarily a MILF because that word creeps me out, but at least a mom that's comfortable in her skin, proud, and confident. I fully believe that the way I carry myself will translate to my own children's confidence and expectation in women. Do I want my boys to fall for conceited women? No of course not! But I think that a woman who takes care of herself and is put together physically, is also put together emotionally, and in life. I don't want to confuse taking care of your body (inside and out) for narcissism. There's nothing wrong with being confident and loving who you are! But sometimes there's a little bit of work involved in that. And right now, that work needs to go into my 30 year old skin care regimen. I'm noticing some dullness in my skin (shouldn't I have that pregnancy glow? Oh wait, that's really just sweat because I'm always HOT). I've also noticed lines on my forehead and around my eyes. I'm sure the sunspots will definitely show under a UV light because of my negligence in my 20s.


Necessities:

1. Cleanser: Philosophy Purity and Origins Never a Dull Moment Skin-Brightening Face Polisher 2. Cleansing Brush: Clarisonic Mia 3. Toner: Clinique Clarifying Lotion 4. Serum: Regenerist Serum by Olay or Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair or Dermalogical Multi Vitamin Power Skin Serum (not for pregnant or nursing moms!) 5. Face Mask:  Karuna (I LOVE THIS BRAND!) Age Defying Treatment Mask or Dermalogica Multi Vitamin Power Skin Recovery Mask (not for pregnant or nursing moms!) 6. Moisturizer: Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer (day) and Clinique Repairwear Uplifting Firming Cream (night) OR Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Night Moisturizer (night) 7. Eye Cream: Glow by Dr. Brandt Revitalizing Eye Cream OR Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair for the eyes 8. Face Peel: Philosophy Micro-delivery Peel


The price range for my skin care varies significantly. From Neutrogena to Dermalogica, things can cost $15-$50. But like my friend Christina always says, PREVENTATIVE is key! Put the effort in now and save thousands in surgery later on.


Sure this subject was a little off topic but I really hated how my skin was starting to look in pictures I was taking with Charlie and it drove me to quit being lazy and do something. I don't want to be focusing on my skin when I'm looking at a smiling picture of me and my son!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Sick Holiday

Losing the baby weight

The Same Ole Problem